Thursday, November 5, 2009

I watched Al Gore on Charlie Rose talk about the planet. Brilliant guy, I read "Earth in the Balance" 16 years ago. He had it right on the nose then. He, himself, was dumbfounded that the community didn't act, and that he is still the leading spokeperson. I guess that we are almost out of the woods, if the tipping point, or the point where deniers of global warming are swimming for the coast, doesn't happen anyway. I believe that organized guilds have been waiting to get the Lion's share of profits from the needed engineering before we were allowed to proceed with solutions. No, I am not a cynic, though I consider carefully first and foremost what I think (I have good intuition), I just believe that the patriarchical society we live in always, always, gives the money to it's vested interests. Those vested interests have an outlier of meeting the needs of society, but are mainly beset with maintaining power, or, more generously, the stewardship, of the planet. That is fine with me, I know that I would help that caused in any way I could, but I have my own vested interests which have nothing to do with the stewardship of the planet, and rather stewardship of my life. Now, I would do what is needed of me to help the planet, but I would think that there might be some of the reaped benefits or rewards so that I can survive , too. The system has weak provision for letting anyone try to get the rewards through their own stewardship of the planet. Why not. I'm an earthling. It is my planet, too. A good example is the fact the US laws (the blindfolded lady herself) has not let renewable energy providers free access to the grid that supplies electricity. That would seem to be a simple, way to reward and spur innovation. Interestingly, I recently saw on the TED Channel on Youtube a lawyer (Daniel Pink- Science of motivation) who says, through experimental evidence, that humans do worse at solving problems when they are provided with monetary incentive as a motivation. In other words, the rigidity of working for someone elses gifts of praise make humans less intelligent and smart at solving a problem. We like to do it on our own, like Lao Tzu says, when the people say "we did it ourselves" then you have been the good leader. I think that is us constant lavishing the rewards onto the so-called stewards of the planet have caused its near demise of weather, and other problems like war and poverty, because we have let the rewarded get by with stupid, slow solutions. It is our fault. Which brings me to the point of my consternation, that persons with good ideas, with no vested interest other than good will, and pride in ownership of their idea, are never, ever let into the decision making process, in fact, it would go against the interests of the people making all the profits. Enough said, the greedy will subdue the intelligent. It has happened pretty consistently through history, primarily because, eventually, even the greedy make the right choices. It is just a matter of a time lag. The not so obvious fly in the ointment is that people are getting jaded, and have less good will, even if just on average. This will slow down motivation more, ad infinitum, until we cannot get by unless there is a carrot on the stick. Hmm, sounds like a devious, evil plan. There are, however, other flies in the ointment. That gives me hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment